Friday, October 02, 2009

Toronto Breastfeeding Challenge 2009

by Mabel Joy, WeeHands Instructor

I haven't really introduced myself or even added much to this blog since I've started it. However, until I get all organized with everything, I just wanted to let some of you know that I will be at the Toronto Breastfeeding Challenge 2009.

For more information:

http://www.toronto.ca/health/breastfeeding/index.htm

Breastfeeding is not as easy a process as most new mommies believe. It's a new kind of dance that takes a lot of hard work and effort to finally feel comfortable with. I just watched the "Ghost Whisperer" and at the end of the episode, Jennifer Love-Hewitt's character's baby latches on 5 minutes after being born as if it's the most natural thing to occur. Please!!! That is not how it works! It's such a myth.

I signed with my second son, "Kai", 2 weeks after he was born. "Milk" was the very first sign I introduced to him. I found that breastfeeding and signing "milk" at the same time was the easiest way for me to introduce ASL to him. Once we mastered the art of breastfeeding, these times were relaxing and calm and probably the best time for us to bond. He would look into my eyes, look at my hands, and touch my hands to feel the movement of "milk". Not only would I sign "milk" to him consistently, but I would say it every time I signed it so that he could be more relaxed with the sound of my voice and get used to the vocabulary of the sign.

Approximately, four months later, I knew that "Kai" understood the sign. If he was hungry, he would cry every single time I signed it or even when others would sign it. It was this strange little cry/laugh that would occur when he really, really wanted something. Very cute!

No comments: