Monday, November 17, 2008

No Need for Controversary

When the news just has to present the controversial side to things it just makes me crazy! Child development experts need to back up what they state with research.



Babies who are signed and spoken to learn listen and watch their parents for information about what's going on in their world. Babies who are signed to receive information both visually and auditorily. This is helpful when you are learning language. Babies do need to learn to respond in a reciprocal way and in every WeeHands class our qualified Instructors, many of whom are speech-language pathologists, teach parents that one of the key building blocks to language development is turn-taking. Along with ASL signs, we teach parents to encourage turn-taking in a conversation.

Just because a baby can communicate "I WANT" or "GIVE ME MORE" clearly doesn't mean that a parent can or will be able to respond to that request each and every time. But if a baby can request MILK by signing MILK and it's not possible at the time, it creates an opportunity for the parent to say "MILK ALL DONE" or "MILK FINISHED" and offer an alternative "WATER?" or "BOOK!" This creates opportunities to connect with your child "YES, but MILK is FINISH. Let's read a BOOK or let's look at the FISH". This creates opportunities to teach language.

When I'm asked about when to start signing, I say whenever the parents are comfortable to start regardless of the age of the baby. I also share that most babies in our classes are between 4 and 8 months when they start our 2-month class.

The video incorrectly suggests starting later. Waiting til child can gesture at 7-8 months, e.g., wave bye-bye, doesn't make sense to me. Parents teach that gesture, babies are not born knowing that the correct way to wave is in North America, we teach them! Just as we can teach them that signs have meaning.

When a baby's brain develops the area that understands visual information develops sooner than the area that understands auditory information, so a baby may be able to understand what they see earlier than they can understand what they hear.

Capone, N.C. & McGregor, K.K. (2004). Gesture Development: A Review for Clinical and Research Practices. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, February 2004, 47, 1, 173. Retrieved June 28, 2006 from ProQuest Nursing and Allied Health Source.

2 comments:

Ramblings Of A Stay At Home Mom said...

I left a piece of my mind as well!


I have to say that I am appalled at these statements made by "experts." I signed with all three of my children, as well as teaching many families to sign with their children. My youngest (as an example) started signing back to me at TWO months! He started signing sentences at SIX months. At 21 months, he has a vocabulary (VERBAL!) of someone much older then him, and also speaks in 5-6 word sentences!!!

Research conclusively indicates that babies who sign tend to have a stronger command of verbal language and often begin speaking at an earlier age than babies who do not sign. Countless parents and caregivers have confirmed these findings with their personal experiences and observations. In addition, many Speech-Language professionals, pediatricians, and educators are supporting the use of signs to encourage early language development.

I believe the research of the National Institutes of Health, over someone who claims to be an expert who can not back up their statements with facts.

Heather Landry said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I started signing to my daughter when we first heard that she might be developmentally delayed. She was signing frequently at 6 months. Her favorite was Thank You. Possibly because it always made me smile. LOL

When it comes to signing I believe they should be started as early as possible. We still sign periodically when she wants something in public but doesn't want to interrupt another adult who is speaking. =0)