Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Counting using Sign Language with your Baby

Here's a video showing American Sign Language numbers from 1-20. If it's too fast, pause as you needed and replay it as much as you want to learn how to count in ASL.



There is no difference between the sign for the number 9 and the sign for the letter F. Context will clarify which one you are using, .e.g., I want 9 chocolates vs I want F chocolates or My name is Frank vs My name is 9rank! Click here to read a great discussion regarding American Sign Language numbers.

When I count with my fingers I use ASL and use one hand. It's helpful - I remember one time I was counting (I was driving though) and I had to think about something and count (can't remember what I was counting!) but it was incredibly helpful that I could count on one hand and use the other for driving! (maybe I shouldn't do that too often though!)

As well, when you use ASL number signs you can get higher than ten without having to use your toes!

Song to Sign and Sing

Ten Little Kisses
(numbers & words in capitals are signed)

1 little, 2 little, 3 little KISSES
4 little, 5 little, 6 little KISSES
7 little, 8 little, 9 little KISSES
10 KISSES on your nose
(give your little one 10 kisses on his nose!)

Repeat until all your baby's body parts are kissed!
This also creates great opportunities to ask & sign: MORE? and WHERE?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

My daughter is 2-1/2 and we just started using this song (and she understands the ASL numbers when I don't speak them).

1, 2 Buckle my shoe
3, 4 Shut the door
5, 6 Pick up sticks
7, 8 Lay them straight
9, 10 A big fat hen!

You're version may be a little different than mine.